A plate heat exchanger is a type of heat exchanger that uses metal plates to transfer heat between two fluids. This has a major advantage over a conventional heat exchanger in that the fluids are exposed to a much larger surface area because the fluids spread out over the plates. This facilitates the transfer of heat, and greatly increases the speed of the temperature change. Plate heat exchangers are now common and very small brazed versions are used in the hot-water sections of millions of combination boilers.
Plate Heat Exchangers have a high heat transfer rate compared to other types of heat exchangers due to their large surface area. They are composed of a number of thin metal plates compressed together into a ‘plate pack’ by two pressure plates. Within a plate heat exchanger, the fluid paths alternate between plates allowing the two fluids to interact, but not mix, several times in a small area. Each plate is corrugated to increase the surface area and maximize heat transfer. Plate Heat Exchangers have a number of applications in the pharmaceutical, petrochemical, chemical, power, industrial dairy, and food & beverage industry.
Types of Plate Heat Exchangers
There are four main types of plate heat exchangers : Gasketed, Brazed Plate, Welded, and Semi-Welded. API Schmidt-Bretten offers all four types. Each type is suited for a number of applications in various industrial fields.
Advantages of Plate Heat Exchangers (PHE)
- Low investment, operation and maintenance costs.
- Highly efficient heat transfer (K- values on average 3-5 times higher than in case of bare-tube heat exchangers).
- Asymmetrical flow gap available for the most costeffective solution.
- Use of smallest temperature difference
- Up to 75% less space required.
- Self-cleaning effect due to highly turbulent flow behaviour
- Future additional capacity is possible by fitting extra heat transfer plates.
- Double gasket with leak groove gives high safety with regards to media mixing.
- Easy to open/clean.
- Low operating weight/ low liquid content.
Heat Exchanger Frames
|Frame Types:||Industrial Painted Frames – Blue|
|Hygienic Stainless Steel Frames|
|Flow Type:||Most models parallel flow|
|Connection Types:||Range of industrial and hygienic connections|
Heat Exchanger Gaskets
|Gasket Type:||Clip and some Glue type|
|HNBR High Temperature|
|Viton (FKMG, FKMT, FKMB)|
|Other material available on request|
Heat Transfer Plates
|Chevron Pattern:||Most plate models available in two patterns – high and low theta|
|Plate Material:||304 Stainless Steel|
|316 Stainless Steel|